''Full care cycles'' HAS Expert Seminar, 15th-16th December 2011 - Paris
This concept of full cycles of care is important for patients, physicians, organizers, decision-makers and sponsors: centred and coordinated around the patient, comprehensive medicine promises to optimize treatments and outcomes, including decreasing costs.
Currently comprehensive care cycles - a patient-centric journey, whether it is for a specific illness or for an elderly patient with multiple comorbidities - encompass the concepts of continuity and holistic approach to treatment.
The HAS international seminar was focused on 4 questions:
- How can we implement a full care pathway that will go beyond a single structure? (session 1)
- How can we evaluate quality and outcomes from integrated cycle of care?
- How can we calculate its costs and compare the efficiency and value of different care cycles? (session 3)
- An example for stroke has been discussed in the last session of the workshop (session 4)
All presentations are available below.
Thursday, 15th December 2011
Session 1: HOW TO IMPLEMENT A FULL CYCLE OF CARE?
Moderator: Rosa Sunol, Avedis Donabedian Foundation, Spain
Secretary: René Amalberti, HAS Safety Expert, France
- Driving Value with Clinical Pathways, Carol Sawka, Canada
- Heart failure pathway in Lyon, Alice Teil, France
- Improving Health Pathways: the elderly and chronic diseases, Marie-Dominique Lussier, France
- The Mayo Clinic Experience, Veronique Roger, USA
Session 2: HOW TO MEASURE QUALITY AND OUTCOMES OF A FULL CYCLE OF CARE?
Moderator: David Ballard, Baylor’s Institute, USA
Secretary: Niek Klazinga, OECD
- Pathways’ evaluation, HAS concept, Armelle Leperre-Desplanques, France
- Quality measurement across continuum of care: the example of heart failure, Cliff Fullerton, USA
- Clinical outcomes and evaluation of MI pathways, Nicolas Danchin, France
- Myocardial infarction from home to home, Carlos El Khoury, France
- Reducing “iatrogenic disability” in the hospitalized elderly patient, Fati Nourhashemi, France
Friday, 16th December 2011
Session 3: HOW TO DEFINE VALUE?
Moderator: Catherine Le Gales Camus, High Council for Public Health, France
Secretary: Françoise F. Hamers, Medical epidemiologist, HAS, France
- Principles of a value-based delivery, Harvard Business School, USA
- Health system performance on disease based value chains for cancer and CVD, Niek Klazinga, OECD
- Evidence for value and efficiency: the NICE approach, Mike Kelly, UK
- Value improvement and care integration, Anthony Staines, CH
- Value of emergency pathways for myocardial infarction, Christine Roullière-Le Lidec, France
Session 4: CASE STUDY: A FULL CARE CYCLE FOR STROKE
Moderator: Véronique Roger, Mayo Clinic, USA
Secretary: Philippe Michel, Aquitaine Centre for Quality and Safety, France
- A full care cycle for Stroke, Tony Rudd, UK
- An approach to implementation, Alberto Deales, Italy
- Integrative model of stroke care, Thierry Moulin, France
- Principles for measurement of quality & outcomes, Florence Saillour, France
- Stroke pathways, the point of view of policy makers, Alain Corvez, France