HERCEPTIN (trastuzumab), monoclonal antibody - Treatment of HER2+ early breast cancer
Reason for request
- HERCEPTIN has Marketing Authorisation in the treatment of adult patients with HER2+ early breast cancer:
- following surgery, chemotherapy (neoadjuvant or adjuvant) and radiation therapy (if applicable);
- following adjuvant chemotherapy with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide, in combination with paclitaxel or docetaxel,
- in combination with adjuvant chemotherapy combining docetaxel and carboplatin,
- in combination with neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by adjuvant HERCEPTIN therapy, in patients with locally advanced (including inflammatory) disease or tumours measuring more than 2 cm in diameter.
- In adjuvant treatment of HER2+ breast cancer, new data confirm the benefit of adding trastuzumab to chemotherapy in terms of disease-free survival and overall survival.
- In neoadjuvant treatment of HER2+ breast cancer, trastuzumab, in combination with chemotherapy, has not always demonstrated gain in overall survival. However, its use may improve access to breast-conserving surgery.
Improvement in actual benefit